Boat Accident Lawyers in Colorado Springs, CO
Boat outings can be a fun way to enjoy the outdoors and spend time with others; however, just like all other modes of transportation, accidents can happen. When someone who is inexperienced or under the influence operates a boat, the risk of an accident significantly increases. Boating accident injuries often occur from collisions, capsized vessels, and falling overboard. Many injuries are through no fault of the victim and are often preventable.
If you were injured in a boating or watercraft accident caused by someone else’s negligence, you may be entitled to file a claim for compensation for your injuries, past losses, and future damages. At Ramos Law, Dr. Ramos and our team of boat accident attorneys are here to help fight for you so you can focus on your recovery. If you or someone you know is a boat accident victim, call us today at (719) 309-3000 for a complimentary consultation. Our Colorado Springs boat accident lawyers can determine if you have a case and what damages you may be entitled to.
Boating Accident Causes
High-powered watercraft often lack safety features such as grab handles or padding, making collisions much more dangerous. Additionally, the force of a boat’s impact can throw passengers into the water, putting them at risk of additional harm or drowning. Boat accidents can occur for several reasons, from equipment failure to operator error.
The most common contributing factors to boating accidents are:
- Operator inattention
- Improper lookout
- Operator inexperience
- Machinery failure
- Alcohol use
Operating a boat with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) over the legal limit is prohibited in Colorado. If an operator involved in your accident was intoxicated when the accident occurred, you may have a personal injury claim against that operator.
Our boat accident attorneys can investigate the accident to determine cause and liability.
What To Do After a Boat Accident in Colorado Springs, CO
Following these steps after a boating accident may help you minimize injuries and deaths, as well as protect your legal rights and support a future claim.
- Get to land or ensure you are safe in the water and determine whether anyone needs immediate medical attention.
- Call 911 or local law enforcement immediately and have them report to the accident scene. If necessary, make a distress call on your radio or with visual distress signals.
- If you are not in immediate danger, gather the contact information of any witnesses and parties involved in the accident. Take photos of the scene and any immediate injuries. Write down everything that happened as soon as possible before you forget important details.
- Colorado law requires you to file an accident report for any accident that results in injury or property damage. A police report is an invaluable piece of evidence since it documents the accident’s details and circumstances. It will help establish negligence and strengthen your case.
- Insurance companies are notorious for not wanting to pay out settlements, especially in serious personal injury cases. Before you speak to an insurance agent or assessor, contact the boat accident lawyers at Ramos Law for a complimentary consultation.
Who Can Be Held Liable for a Boating Accident?
Negligence, the basis for most injury claims, is the failure to act with reasonable care. Any negligent parties involved in a boat accident can be held liable for injuries or death. There may be multiple responsible parties involved in a single claim.
Depending on the circumstances surrounding the accident, potential parties who could be held liable may include:
- Boat operator who did not follow safe boating practices
- Boat owner who failed to keep proper safety equipment onboard
- Boat operator/owner who hit your boat
- Any other party whose negligence contributed to your injuries, such as passengers who acted in a reckless manner
- Boat rental company
- Dock owner
- Boat manufacturing company in case of machinery failure/defect
How Our Colorado Springs Boating Accident Lawyers Can Help You
If you are worried about not being able to afford a lawyer, rest assured. Our personal injury attorneys will not charge you anything out of your pocket for their services. The initial consultation is free, and if we agree to take your case, our goal is to win your case – and we do not get paid until we do! That means our compensation will come out of the funds the insurance company or court awards to you. Yes, you can afford us.
The attorneys at Ramos Law have extensive knowledge of boat accident claims and are dedicated to providing expert legal guidance in personal injury cases. Our firm has investigative experts on hand to gather evidence and obtain witness statements to help our boat accident lawyers build a solid claim before you file a lawsuit. We have your best interest in mind and will work diligently to help you get back to normal life.
To win your boating accident case, you must prove that:
- The party owed you or your loved one a duty of care (the legal responsibility of a person or organization to avoid any behaviors or omissions that could reasonably be foreseen to cause harm to others)
- The party was negligent
- The party’s negligence was the direct cause of the boating accident
- The accident caused your injuries or your loved one’s death
The most important thing to know about our experienced boat accident attorneys is that we do the hard work for you so you can focus on recovering from your injuries.
How Much Compensation Can You Receive in a Boating Accident Claim?
Boating accidents can result in long-term pain, loss of income, life-changing injuries, high medical costs, and significant property damage. Our boat accident lawyers work to protect your rights and aggressively pursue the compensation you deserve.
With one of our skilled attorneys on your side, you may be able to recover compensation for damages such as:
- Medical bills
- Future medical treatment
- Lost wages
- Loss of earning capacity
- Property loss
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment
How To Choose the Best Boating Accident Lawyers in Colorado Springs, CO
You may be wondering how to narrow down what law firm to hire, but it’s simple — the best boat accident attorney is the one who serves your interests the most. You want to choose a firm that is experienced in litigating boat accident cases. You also want a firm that has reputable attorneys in its ranks. Most importantly, you need an accident lawyer who understands BOTH the medicine and the legal issues that combine to determine the TRUE value of the settlement for boating accidents in Colorado Springs, CO.
Dr. Joseph Ramos is an attorney and also a board-certified Emergency Department medical doctor. He and our personal injury attorneys understand your injuries and what you are going through. We know the amount of compensation that is appropriate to help cover the cost of your injuries as well as to help ease some of the stress and anxiety caused by your accident. If you or a loved one are the victim of a boating accident and suffered injuries or loss, our firm can fight for the compensation you deserve so you can focus on healing and recovering.
Call Ramos Law now at (719) 309-3000 or contact our lawyers for a complimentary, no-obligation consultation.