Slip and Fall Lawyers
Advocating on behalf of the injuredTalk With Us Today
Colorado Springs(719) 309-3000
Attorneys Helping with Slip and Fall Injuries
Many people associate slip and fall accidents with ice and snow during the winter or wet surfaces in stores. However, slip and fall accidents can occur in any location and cause serious injuries for accident victims. Falls are the most common cause of traumatic brain injuries – your life can be changed forever within a few seconds if you are injured by a serious fall while at work, your home, a commercial location, or on private property. Regardless of where you are when you fall, if you are injured, the property owner may be liable for your damages and you may be entitled to receive compensation. Expert personal injury attorneys that specialize in slip and fall cases can help you by providing legal support as you focus on your recovery.
At Ramos Law, we help people who have experienced slip and fall injuries due to someone else’s negligence. Our team of slip and fall lawyers has years of experience handling all types of accident cases. We are ready to fight for the financial compensation you need to ease the stress and anxiety caused by the fall.
The exact timeframe you have to file a slip and fall claim varies from state to state. If you live in a state with a two-year statute of limitations for personal injury cases, you would have two years from the day of the accident to file your lawsuit against the property owner or other defendant who you think is responsible for causing the slip and fall. It is always best to contact a slip and fall attorney right away to ensure that you do not miss your state’s timeframe to file a claim. Contact us as soon as possible for a complimentary, no-obligation consultation.
Slip and Fall Statistics
Slip and fall accidents are more common than you might think. According to Injury Facts data from the National Safety Council, more than 6.8 million people were treated in emergency rooms for fall-related injuries in 2019. Most people think of a slip and fall as someone slipping on water in a commercial store; however, a slip and fall can occur in any location and under any condition. People slip and fall at home, in parking lots, at gas stations, while visiting friends, in nursing homes, and while at work. The elderly are particularly at risk of falls due to their age and health – and falls are one of the most common nursing home accidents. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), slips, trips, and falls are one of the top three leading causes of work-related injuries treated in an emergency department.
Anywhere you go you can be the victim of a slip and fall accident. For those who are injured in a slip and fall accident, recovery can be costly, painful, and long.
What Sets Our Slip & Fall Injury Lawyers Apart From the Rest
After a serious fall that resulted in an injury, many victims face overwhelming financial problems from lost work, medical bills, and their recovery. Our compassionate attorneys will invest our time and resources into building your claim and handle all of the details so you can focus on healing, rather than worry about paying the mounting medical bills or dealing with insurance companies.
Dr. Joseph Ramos is an emergency medicine physician and attorney with many years of experience guiding the treatment of the injured, including those who have suffered slip and fall injuries. Dr. Ramos began studying law because, as an ER doctor, he wanted any injured person or wronged party to have access to proper legal counsel if they chose to pursue it. He and our entire team of slip and fall lawyers have a deeper understanding of your case from medical and legal angles. This allows us to give the best possible representation to accident victims who need help during one of the most challenging experiences of their lives.
Slip & Fall Compensation
A slip and fall accident is a serious matter. The physical, emotional, and financial damages from a slip and fall accident can easily reach into the millions of dollars.
The compensation that is available in a slip and fall case may include:
- Lost wages or reduced earning capacity
- Medical expenses, medications, etc.
- Ongoing and anticipated medical and personal care
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Permanent disfigurement or scarring
- Other related expenses such as the costs of a wheelchair ramp or other home improvements related to your accessibility needs
Damages are unique to each slip and fall case; therefore, you may be entitled to receive other compensation depending on the circumstances of your accident.
Discuss Your Slip and Fall Claim With Our Lawyers
At Ramos Law, our clients are our first priority and we are proud of our reputation for honesty, hard work, integrity, and fairness. We are specialists in understanding the nuances of personal injury law and how it applies to your particular case. We truly believe there is no one better to represent you in your slip and fall claim, help you protect your rights as a victim, and fight for the compensation you deserve.
If you or your loved one have suffered a slip and fall injury due to someone else’s negligence, contact our attorneys as soon as possible for a complimentary, no-obligation consultation.
Slip and Fall Accident Frequently Asked Questions
Many people have questions about slip and fall claims. Below are some of the most common questions our attorneys answer for clients. We offer complimentary consultations so that you can get answers to your specific slip and fall questions.
Premises liability is an area of personal injury law covering injuries sustained on another person’s property. If you are injured while on commercial or private property, you may be entitled to receive compensation for your injuries. Property owners have a duty of care to ensure the property is safe for visitors, guests, and customers. If the property owner fails in his or her duty of care, the owner is liable for any injuries sustained while on the property.
The CDC assigned several risk factors that indicate a person may be at a higher risk of experiencing a slip and fall. The more risk factors a person has the more likely he or she will experience a fall. Those factors include:
- Individuals with weakness in the lower body
- A lack of Vitamin D
- Individuals who experience difficulty walking or have difficulty with balance
- Using certain medications that can cause drowsiness or other side effects that affect movement (i.e. painkillers, sedatives, antidepressants, etc.)
- Problems with vision
- Wearing certain shoes and problems with foot pain
- Environment hazards such as broken and uneven steps, flooring material, lack of handrails, etc.
If you are injured in a slip and fall accident, you may be entitled to receive compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages, ongoing medical and personal care, physical pain, emotional suffering, loss of enjoyment of life, permanent disfigurement or scarring, and other related expenses. Damages are unique to each slip and fall case; therefore, you may be entitled to receive other compensation depending on the circumstances of your accident.
No one leaves home expecting to be seriously injured in a slip and fall accident. If you are injured while on another person’s property, taking the right steps after a fall can help your attorney prepare a strong case against the property owner and other parties who are responsible for your injuries.
- Seek Immediate Medical Attention – Your health is your number one priority. Slips and falls cause serious injuries that can result in permanent conditions. If you are injured, contact emergency medical help or go to the hospital. Even if you believe you are not seriously injured, you should still have a medical exam. The soreness and pain you feel days and weeks after a fall could be an indication of a more serious injury.
- Report Your Accident – Immediately report the fall to the property owner. If the property owner is not on-site, report the fall to a manager or other person of authority. Insist that you receive a copy of the written accident report before you leave.
- Photograph the Accident Scene – Use the camera on your phone or ask another person to take pictures of the accident scene as it is at the time of the accident. The property owner is likely to repair or correct the conditions that caused you to fall. It is helpful to have pictures showing the conditions at the time of the accident.
- Get the Name and Contact Information for the Owner – If you fall in a commercial store, the owner of the property may be different from the owner of the store. Ask for the name and contact information of the property owner as well as the store owner.
- Eyewitness Information – Eyewitness testimony can be very useful in a slip and fall claim. Get the names and contact information of any eyewitnesses to the accident.
- Preserve Evidence – Keep the clothing and shoes you were wearing at the time of the accident for your attorney. The attorney may need these items as evidence for your claim.
- Document Your Injuries – Photograph your injuries and begin writing each day in a journal. Note the level of pain you experience, the restrictions on daily activity, and the emotional stress you experience as you recover. Keep details about how the accident and your injuries have affected your life and your family’s lives.
Slip and fall cases can be complex and difficult to litigate. An experienced personal injury attorney who understands slip and fall laws is the best person to help you with your claim. Contact our office as soon as possible after your accident so that we can help you by providing legal support as you focus on your health.
Slip and Fall Attorney for Retail Store Injuries
A slip and fall attorney could be a solid ally should you experience an injury as a result of negligence in a retail store.