Millions of people rely on buses for their daily commutes and other travel needs. With over one million registered buses in the United States, it’s no surprise that in 2020, The National Conference of State Legislators (NCSL) Transportation Review found that approximately 480,000 school buses transported 26 million children to and from school daily. While bus accidents are relatively infrequent, their consequences can be catastrophic.
At Ramos Law, we are your trusted partner, offering years of experience handling personal injury cases. Our team of bus accident lawyers in Colorado Springs, CO, will advocate for your rights and seek the justice you deserve. Contact Ramos Law to discuss your case with our attorneys today.
Bus Accident Statistics
According to The Bureau of Transportation Statistics Bus Profile, school buses, Motorcoaches, and transit buses contribute to approximately 12% of fatal traffic accidents in the United States. In 2020 alone, buses were involved in nearly 45,000 out of more than five million nonfatal crashes, emphasizing the severity of bus accidents on our roadways.
The statistics from 2019 paint a vivid picture of the types of buses involved in fatal crashes:
- 84 school buses
- 15 Motorcoach buses
- 78 transit buses
Of particular concern are accidents involving school buses, which often transport our most precious cargo—our children. Families trust bus drivers to ensure safe transportation to and from school. However, when a negligent driver collides with a school bus filled with our children, it sparks panic and anxiety among everyone affected. These accidents can severely impact the lives of those involved and their families.
Why Legal Representation Is Essential for Bus Accidents
While relatively uncommon, bus accidents can have profound consequences for those involved. Seeking legal representation is not just advisable; it is necessary. Here’s why:
- Complex Liability Issues: Bus accidents often involve multiple parties, making liability determination tricky. Having an experienced lawyer by your side is crucial in navigating these intricacies.
- Insurance Company Tactics: Insurance companies may offer quick, inadequate settlements. A knowledgeable bus accident lawyer in Colorado Springs, CO, will protect your rights and negotiate for fair compensation for your needs.
- Evidence Preservation: Lawyers gather and preserve vital evidence, including accident reports, witness statements, and expert opinions, to build a robust case.
- Understanding Legal Procedures: The legal process is complex, with strict procedures and deadlines. An attorney ensures accurate and timely paperwork filing.
- Maximizing Compensation: Bus accidents result in substantial financial losses. An attorney fights to maximize your compensation for lost wages, medical bills, and pain and suffering.
- Advocacy for Your Rights: Ramos Law’s bus accident lawyers in Colorado Springs will serve as dedicated advocates, allowing you to focus on recovery while we fight for your rights.
Discuss Your Case With Colorado Springs Bus Accident Lawyers
With nearly 25 years of experience at Ramos Law, we have dedicated ourselves to assisting bus accident victims. We handle various bus accidents, including school buses, Motorcoaches, and transit accidents. Our team, led by Dr. Joseph Ramos, combines medical expertise with legal insight to navigate the complex processes involved in personal injury cases in Colorado Springs.
Contact our bus accident lawyers in Colorado Springs if you have sustained injuries. We provide a free assessment of your case and guarantee you will receive the compensation you deserve. We are here to fight for your rights and support you during this challenging time.
Q&A – Your Bus Accident Legal Guide
The statute of limitations for filing a bus accident lawsuit varies by state. In Colorado, you generally have two years from the accident date to file a personal injury lawsuit. However, it is essential to consult with a lawyer promptly to ensure you meet all deadlines.
Insurance companies often offer quick and low settlements, but consulting with a bus accident lawyer before accepting any offer is vital. A lawyer can review the offer to ensure it is fair and covers your current and future medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
You may still have legal options even if you initially accepted an insurance settlement. However, it is essential to consult with an experienced bus accident lawyer in Colorado Springs as soon as possible to discuss your case and determine if you have a basis for reopening it.
Parents or legal guardians can file a bus accident lawsuit for an injured child. An attorney can guide you through the process and ensure your child’s rights and interests are protected.
If you are injured in a bus accident, you may be able to seek compensation for various expenses, including medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and damage to your property. The specific compensation you can pursue will depend on the circumstances of your case. An experienced bus accident lawyer in Colorado Springs can help you maximize your reimbursement based on your unique situation.
There are several things you can do to prevent bus accidents, such as:
- Be aware of your surroundings and watch for buses.
- Do not cross the street in front of a bus.
- Wait until the bus has come to a complete stop and the door has opened before getting on or off.
- Use caution when getting on or off a bus at night.
- If you are a bus driver, get enough sleep, avoid distractions, and follow all traffic laws.