So, you were just in a car accident through no fault of your own and you are wondering if you are hurt, what happened and what to do next.
You can start protecting yourself from the insurance companies from the very beginning and along the way by taking care of some very basic things:
- Always contact the police and wait for them to arrive so that a proper police report can be made.
- Always take pictures of the other person’s car because their insurance company will not hand those over later.
- Do not give any recorded statements to the other person’s insurance company without speaking to an attorney. Trust us, the car insurance companies are not there to help you. You do have a duty to cooperate with your own insurance company but we suggest getting an attorney before you speak with them as well.
- Seek medical attention immediately if you are injured. If you wait, the car insurance companies will later claim you are never injured to begin with. Again, they are not there to help you. They are there to save a buck.
- Seek out an attorney. At Ramos Law time has shown that clients that come to us at the very beginning often get better results than those that come to us at the end. We know all of the tricks the insurance companies try to play and how to avoid them.
- Don’t miss your medical appointments. If you do, the car insurance companies won’t hesitate to blame you for not getting better or accuse you of not being heard it all if you miss medical appointments.
- Always tell the truth to your medical providers. Some people are quick to minimize their injuries because they don’t want to complain. This is a great trait and one the car insurance companies are happy to exploit if you let them. Always make sure to provide accurate and detailed information to your medical providers about your pain levels and injuries.
- Never give up. The world wants to see people fight to get their life back if they are injured. We encourage our clients to do everything they can to get back on their feet.